Friday, September 19, 2008

Scary Pond!


So, a little earlier today I had a "mother's worst nightmare" event happen! The kids were playing outside and I was in the sunroom watching them and also playing around on the computer. I noticed that Parker was wandering towards our pond, so I got up to watch exactly where he was going to go and what he was going to do. Our backyard isn't fenced AND we have a pond, so I'm constantly watching to make sure everyone is accounted for. Anyways, he walked up the hill a little and ended up walking right next to the pond (the pond is on a hill, so there's a little drop into one side and the other side is level with the rest of the yard), so I started to get up to go tell him "no" and direct him elsewhere when all of the sudden...SPLASH, right into the pond!!!! He had a little fall too, because he was on the hillside of it. So, luckily I watched him fall in so I was totally ready to run after him. It's not really that far from our deck to the pond, but when you're running to your baby in a pond it's the longest run ever! The whole way to get him I couldn't see him because of a bush and because it's kinda sunken down, but I could hear him splashing. I was so scared! Then right before I got to him, before I could actually see him, it just went silent. I thought for sure he drowned. To my relief he had got himself turned on his back and was bracing himself up with his hands on the sides of the pond (it's a small pond...) and his head was up out of the water. He had the most scared look on his face I've ever seen. Poor kid! Well, he fell in head first, so his head was totally covered in mud and green stuff and he was soaked from head to toe. The only way to get him was to get in myself, so I did. I got him out and hugged him a minute then stripped him down to his diaper then brought him inside to get in the bath. I had to strip down before coming in too. So, here I am in my undies walking through the house holding a screaming, nasty, dirty kid. It was crazy! Now he's clean and happy and just fine. I've never felt that kind of adrenaline though. I've never been in a situation where I have to save my baby like that! Thank goodness everything's ok! Now that I look back, I wished I had a picture of how soaked and muddy he was, but of course that's not the first thing you think of when you're pulling your kid out of a pond! I think we'll be putting a little fence around the pond now. Now we know that even when you're watching closely, accidents happen!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Mo! How scarey! You are such an observant mommy though. I could totally see myself not even watching the kids if they were in the backyard. But, with little ones you do have to be more careful. I'm so glad everything turned out okay, and you are both well. I bet you were shaking for awhile after that ordeal, huh? I bet if Jer didn't have to go camping, that fence would be in tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Monique! I have had one scare like that with Marylinn and actually Scotty was carrying her down a slope next to a river and he slipped and dropped her and she went in head first. Luckily Scotty got up so fast and scooped her up before she floated away but it didn't stop me from running and screaming. To see your baby face down in the water for only a brief second freaks you out. Marylinn actually got herself flipped face up too, it must be an instinct or something. I felt bad for Scotty 'cause I grabbed Marylinn and ran her to the car with a towel and blanket and Scotty was wet too and limping back to the car all on his own. It was like on Peter Pan when they all rush to the dog and forget the Dad! Anyway, I am glad that Parker is okay, it is really scary to have an experience like that! Maybe until the next little one is walking you wont even need the fence because Parker will be to scared to go to that part of the yard anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW! So glad that you were there to get him! It is so hard to keep little kids away from enticing things, isn't?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is CRAZY!! I'm glad he is okay. What a cute kid. One minute your exploring your yard and the next thing you know your head first in the water. What luck parker!:) Monique two thumbs way up! This won't be the last time you have to rescue a child. Nice fast action reflexes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique, You must have said your prayers that day. I am so glad that you were observant! Poor little Parker. I hope he is okay and remembers and doesn't even get close to that darn pond. I worried about that pond from the beginning of you moving there. I love you all. L ove Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you were around. I have had to jump in our pool to get Summer out. It was not fun and I was also like 8 months pregnant. It is definitely scary how easily something can happen to our kids.

    How are you guys doing these days anyhow? It has been so long since I have looked at any blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you were there watching him, sure is scary.

    ReplyDelete