Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Timber and Some Fuzzy Friends

It's only 1:00ish and our day is already full of events! This morning we had some trees cut down in our back yard. We basically live in the forest back there and we needed some sunshine! We have PLENTY of trees still, on the side of our house (our property is almost an acre and most of that is trees). It went well...No injuries or falling trees on our house! I'm happy!

BEFORE:



AFTER:



If you notice, there's much more sunlight getting through. That was the point of this. It's gonna be a lot of work, but we plan on getting all that wood cut up and out of the way and then preparing the ground for grass! I'm so excited to have a nice yard. We have a small patch of grass in the back yard, but not much. It will be great to have a real back yard!

Anyways, in the process of all this the guys found a bird nest with baby birds (crows...we think). They almost cut right through it, but thank goodness, they saw it and were able to get it out of the tree with the birds safe and sound. At first it was kinda exciting, but then I felt really bad for these birds. I mean, we totally cut down the tree they were living in and now what??? What about their momma bird??? After contemplating taking care of them ourselves (ya right!) we ended up calling a wildlife shelter here in Renton and brought the birds, in the nest, to them. Crazy! I'm just glad they'll be safe and taken care of. I was really worried! I'm kinda weird like that! I really like animals...




4 comments:

  1. Wow! I was hoping you would post pictures of the baby birds, and the nest. Quite amazing, actually. Good idea taking them to a shelter. I don't know if Jer would have been able to keep them alive in the garage. Your yard will be so nice when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that we get to keep in touch now. We are still living in Rexburg. What we thought would be a 2 year jaunt in school has turned into a 4 year jaunt. Matt will finally graduate in July and then we are going to make a big move to Idaho Falls. He got an internship with a company a year ago and they decided to hire him after he graduates. Life is going pretty good. Those baby birds were so cute. I worry about stuff like that too. I am glad you found somewhere to take them. I am an animal lover at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cutting those trees down is going to make such a huge difference in your backyard. What a fun summer project you've created for yourselves! And, I am so glad that you were able to save those birds, I would have felt the same way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh what new baby birds! I am so glad you were able to save them! And the backyard is goingn to look amazing once done. I can imagine much more sunshine, I agree with Kristin, what a fun summer project!

    ReplyDelete