Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Help A Mom Out!

I've got this smart, little four year old who has all of the sudden become some little two year old just starting to potty train (or so it seems)...Samantha had been potty trained since she was 2 years old, but recently she's had times where she "forgets" to go potty on the toilet for days at a time.  This most recent bout of forgetfulness has lasted way too long!  I mean, she knows where to go to use the bathroom.  She knows she's not supposed to go in her pants, but for some reason she does.  She tells me "my brain is telling me to have too much fun and go in my panties."  I told her that she's in charge of her brain and she can tell it to stop telling her that!  You see, her excuse is that she's "just having too much fun."  Yeah, too much fun to STOP and go to the bathroom.  Very frustrating!  We've tried doing the sticker chart, AGAIN.  We've tried treats at the end of the day, if there's no accidents.  We've now decided that instead of rewarding, maybe we need to punish. I know, it sounds harsh, but she already knows the routine.  So, we have taken a few privileges away, and today was better but I worry it's just temporary. Anyway, I was just curious if there's any other moms out there who have dealt with this same situation.  Is there any suggestions?  And ideas?  Help!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm not the only mother out there with a VERY potty-trained child that still has accidents! Seriously, it has been the WORST thing to deal with...and it has been just over the past year or so. (She was potty-trained at 2 1/2). Anyway, we tried putting her in a cold bath/shower when she had an accident and it didn't work, so we now just remind her every few hours and MAKE her go. It is NOT a suggestion, she has to go and lately she has been getting better. (Alright, I realize that putting her in a cold shower is mean and I agree. Our friends suggested it...and it didn't work for Livi!)
    I don't know what it is about our girls...they get playing and forget to go to the bathroom. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have discoovered that potty training girls and boys is very different. Marylinn did have problems like that too but it seems so long ago that I know that I am forgetting some things. Anyway, for Tyler, who has been having the same type of problem, we put a little baggie of candy in the bathroom to high for him to reach. I am talking like individually wrapped lifesavers or starbursts. Every time he goes potty on his own without getting any in his underwear then he gets a treat. We have also done the punishment thing and it really has worked when we make sure that he REALLY knows why he is there. I don't know if Sam is still young enough to care about this but Tyler also really hates it when he doesn't get to flush the potty. If he gets any in his underwear then he doesn't get to flush the potty.
    As for the night time thing...the only advise that there really is to give is don't give her anything to drink after dinner and if she wakes up AT ALL take her potty! Marylinn has always had a problem talking in her sleep. We discovered that when she is talking loud enough for us to hear or she is whimmpering then she needs to go potty. She also some times sleep walks and that ALWAYS means that the kid needs to go potty. Anyway this has become a novel, but just know that the rest of are struggling with the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madilynn was having trouble like that too. I just started reading this book about potty training and I will definatly be using the methods in it to train Marshall. I really wish I would have read this before I trained Madilynn. It's called Toilet Trained in a Day. Okay so back on topic - I started making Madilynn take care of everything when she had an accident and also calmly (most of the time) told her that big girls don't do that and if she was going to have accidents than she wouldn't get to do big girl things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my problemo, Carter, who just turned three, just won't potty train. He has no problem doing it, but he just won't. He doesn't care... at all. I can't make him care. Blah. Hannah, wanted to potty train. Ug. But my sister Heather used to do the same thing, just be playing and not want to stop so she would pee her pants instead So my mom would make her sit on a stool in the kitchen, in her pee pants for twenty minutes everytime she did it. Oh, that stopped her pretty fast. She decided that it was more fun to just get up and go potty really quick than sit in wet pants, not playing for half an hour. Very effective, and quick. I think she only had to make her sit in her pants a few times before she stopped cold and never peed her pants on purpose again. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. v2iGFt zronvlkyxeaq, [url=http://fuulynuybpbj.com/]fuulynuybpbj[/url], [link=http://sjwupralhnyg.com/]sjwupralhnyg[/link], http://vgrrkcyacohg.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. V9xZSV fcioquctprjn, [url=http://ffnagomnsnmn.com/]ffnagomnsnmn[/url], [link=http://jabbouctrwdp.com/]jabbouctrwdp[/link], http://rrkqjaovlspb.com/

    ReplyDelete