Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sewing 101

As some of you know, I'm in desperate need of a hobby. I've been talking about it for a couple weeks now and still can't figure out what I want to do or what I'm actually good at. Sure, I've played around with a few things in the past, but never have found something I'm absolutely passionate for and want to keep doing over and over again. To try to figure out what my talents are and what I want my new hobby to be I thought I'd just try a few things. My first step in figuring this out was to try my hand at sewing. Since I have this sewing machine that I've owned for 10 years and used maybe 5 times, I thought I should actually use it. One of my very best friends, Heidi, is talented in many ways, including sewing. Something she makes every year for her kids with the flannel that she gets at Joann's for way cheap on Black Friday is pajamas. Well, this year she offered to help me learn how to sew some for Samantha. We decided today was a good day and I headed on over to her house with my machine and instruction manual (I couldn't remember how to thread my bobbin and also figured I'd need it at one point since I hardly know how to work it!) this morning. It took pretty much all day, but I did it! I made Sam a new nightgown all by myself! Heidi did guide me, but I did all the sewing and even made the ruffle all on my own. I came home and did the elastic without any help and it actually turned out ok. Samantha loves it, despite the imperfections, so that's all that matters. Right? It's not perfect, but I'd say it turned out pretty darn good for a first-timer...My next sewing expedition will be a quilt. I've never done it, but it looks fun! Just part of my quest for a new talent/hobby!



9 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so cute!! I think it looks great! I've been needing a hobby lately too. Too bad I don't have a sewing machine, or I would be doing that too. I actually know how to sew if you can believe that. The kids have been on Antibiotics since yesterday, and it only takes a little while to kick in, and they slept all night last night. We would love to hang out on Friday. They should be fine by then. Just give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! Thats awesome that you did that:) I need to learn sewing...I took a class back in 7th grade but I dont remember anything! I would love to make a skirt or apron or something. Anyway, good job, it looks super cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed! The nightgown is adorable - it looks like you could have bought it from a store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive Monique!!! :)
    I would say your first sewing venture turned out very nicely! I am glad that you had a good experience... I always get these great sewing ideas and then the 3rd time I have to rip out a seam that I sewed wrong I think, "Why do I do this to myself?!? This is why I DON'T sew!" :)
    Love the nightgown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!
    I could always make some stretch pants!! Remember all of those. I think it is wonderful to learn. I really could sew. Dianne hated to sew as a kid. One day in highschool she had a sewing project and she was crying at the sewing machine and said she didn't want to do it and your Grandpa sort of yelled at her to sew until she liked it!! Look at her now.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Monique! I did the same thing about four years ago. I needed a hobby, so Jared bought me a sewing machine. I love it! I've made quilts, but never a nightgown. I should try that . . . . Looks much harder than a quilt, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a good job! I love the picture of Samantha posing in her new pj's. Can't wait to see your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo!!! You did wonderfully! We'll have to start a project together- I didn't realize you wanted to sew- woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete