Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bittersweet Birthday...

We had a great time tonight with my Mom, Stephen, Tanner, his friend, Ian, and my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins! You see, it's going to be my brother, Tanner's, birthday on July 15th, but they're leaving to move to Idaho Falls on Friday...SOOO SAD! So, we decided to have a little birthday party for him tonight before they leave. We decided to go bowling, which is one of Tanner's favorite things to do. Samantha's never tried out bowling, so it was fun to watch her have a turn at it. Parker also got into the action.

Great-Uncle Matt scored MAJOR brownie points with the kids by helping them bowl. They were so excited!

The bitterness of all this is, obviously, that they're leaving. My family has always been just minutes away from me. Sure, I'll miss my mom. But, I think, even though I don't see Tanner a ton, I'll miss him the most. For those of you who don't know, Tanner is autistic. He's very special to me and watching him leave and start over in a new town, state, school...life...is hard for me. He's not one for change. He's happy where he is and I worry about him. Life hasn't been a piece of cake for him. He's finally found a wonderful, dear friend, Ian, who he loves. Ian is also autistic and watching them together is really great. Tanner has someone who he can feel 100% comfortable with and they've become really close. I hate to see them seperated and to have Tanner have to find that special friend again to hang out with. They've exchanged e-mails and phone numbers, but it's just not the same.

Sorry, this has become my big sob story!
I just want Tanner to be happy, and I know he will be in the end. He'll find that special friend again and he'll get used to life in Idaho. I'll miss them very much. I've been telling myself that "it's no big deal" that they're leaving, but it's starting to be. It's finally hitting me (as I sit here crying!) But, hey, it's not like I'm never going to see them again, right?
Anyways, on a lighter note, we did have a wonderful time tonight and I'm happy we were able to spend some family time together. Bowling, yummy food, family and friends, a happy birthday boy...what could be better?!!! Love you guys! I'll miss you

4 comments:

  1. I thought you were being mighty brave about them leaving, Mo. Who wouldn't love having their Mom just a phone call away? I know it will be an adjustment, for sure. We will have to take road trips down to Idaho Falls now that we both have family there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey on the bright side when you come to visit you Mom I can come up and see you and we can get together with Steph! That would be fun! I, of all people, would know that it is hard to get use to not having family around but it comes with time. Oh, and who is the girl holding Collin? Is that a cousin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please, please, please visit soon!!! I will have to go see your mom and see if there's anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete