Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Favorite Movie - The Goonies

We took a family trip this weekend to the Oregon coast and I had time to think about my favorite movie, The Goonies, which conveniently was filmed on the Oregon coast. Though these pictures are from last year's trip, we were able to visit most of the same sites this year...I'm sure Monique will post those pics shortly. What you see below are screenshots from the movie and following each of them are the corresponding pictures we took that kind-of match the movie. It was pretty fun finding the locations. Enjoy! County Jail - Astoria, OR
The county jail was closed to the public but had a nice sign on it saying that we could stand in front and take as many pictures as we would like.

Data's House - Astoria, OR
Data and Mikey's houses were right next to each other. They were on top of a little hill that overlooks the Columbia River. There was a sign at the bottom of the driveway that said feel free to take pictures in front of the house, but not to drive up there. I still felt strange intruding on these people's properties and chickened out going too far up the driveway (there was a guy sitting on his porch just watching us, so that didn't make me feel any more confortable.)
Mikey and Brand's house - Astoria, OR

Historical Society (Flavel House Museum) - Astoria, OR

Road to restaurant (Road to Ecola State Park) - Cannon Beach, OR
I'm pretty sure that I took this picture at the right spot. This was 23 years after filming the movie, so things were a bit overgrown.
Restaurant field (Ecola State Park) - Cannon Beach, OR
Monique sure is beautiful!
Restaurant (Ecola State Park) - Cannon Beach, OR
I look like an idiot in these pictures...sorry about that. Anyways, if you look behind me, that is where they built the restaurant set for the movie. If you look close enough, you can see a tree stump that is overgrown with various foliage, you can see the same stump in the movie (behind the car.) Cool huh?
Restaurant field (Ecola State Park) - Cannon Beach, OR
I just shot this picture of Samantha for fun, but when I got home I realized that it was in the exact location as this clip in the movie.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so cool! I actually just watched the goonies again a few months ago! "This is our time in here!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty awesome! I love the Goonies! Scott's sister has never seen Goonies can you believe that! She should be ashamed that she lived in the 80's and hasn't seen that movie. Anyway, how did you find all those spots? That would be a fun trip to take. Did you find them on the internet? Let me know 'cause we will have to do that some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, if you look online you can find the specific locations of where the movie was shot. Once you get to the park though, you just have to figure out where the certain locations are that they used. It was fun touring the park and figuring it out. The house, jail and museum, you can get addresses. It's was fun!

    ReplyDelete